Written By Rosa Diaz
- Start by having a cool name. If you weren’t born with one, get a cool nickname or change your real name. You can’t kick ass and take names across the galaxy with an uncool name. Pick something like Jace or America or a nickname like Q or Duck. Yes, this is absolutely necessary.
- Next, have a childhood that is, at the very least, confusing. You don’t need to have a tragic backstory (although that is acceptable), you just need a childhood that leaves you with undirected longing and repressed emotions. Maybe you spend a long time grappling with your sexuality, or your parents want to force you into a job that you hate. Maybe you do both.
- Become least a little reckless. Sleep with men and women that you shouldn’t. Make a mess of your relationships. Get involved with something dangerous. It is important that you use this time to both make a mess of yourself and become cynical to set up your character arc later.
- Fall in love with someone. Perhaps you fall in love with the cutest girl you have ever seen – a sharpshooter in the space military. Maybe you even enlist for her. You find that they are willing to overlook your reckless past because your tech skills are exactly what they need to round out a new program.
- Break up. One day after training the girl will your hands in hers and say “Jace, this isn’t going to work.” You’ll still have to see her often, and you’ll still work on the same ship, but you won’t be together any longer.
- Try to impress someone else. Pick someone from a squadron from an allied planet. Use this as motivation to rise through the ranks, and in the process, become close friends with them.
- Develop a strong sense of morality. Find yourself a real reason to keep fighting and believe in it very strongly. Maybe you are fighting because you believe in the goals of the war. Maybe you just think that you can make a difference and end it.
- Become known for pulling heroic stunts in battle. Save the lives of other people. Take big risks and have them pay off. Become known not only on your ship, but throughout much of the galaxy for heroics.
- Be the one who makes the play that ends the war. Be responsible for the big make or break move in the strategy for the final battle and make it. Be celebrated for years to come.
- Finally kiss the boy you’ve been trying to impress for a year now. Since the war is now over, you two can spend time trying to build a lasting relationship.
From here, you have a lot of options. You can go live a quiet life with the person you love, find a small town, and settle down. You could keep trying to change the world, and find a group of people to make the world a better place with. You could stay in the military – they would let you – and try to make a difference in there. Hopefully you calm that longing you’ve had since adolescence.